More in this section...
Making sure that all students are in uniform and appropriately equipped allows teachers to focus on teaching and learning. Please read the school Code of Conduct to fully understand our school policy and procedures.
Students should be suitably equipped (pen, pencil, ruler, rubber, calculator) and, with the exception of the sixth form, must be dressed in the following uniform:
- SGHS blue striped blouse
- School badged sweatshirt (Blue)
- Blue regulation style skirt (no shorter than 18") or blue trousers (full length)
- We do not permit extreme hair-cuts, including no coloured hair or flamboyant hair ornamentation.
- Make-up is not allowed at Key Stage 3. At Key Stage 4 a small amount of discreet make-up is permitted (students will be asked to wash off any excessive make-up when in school)
- Only totally plain black shoes are to be worn (Shoes must provide support and protection for the feet). These should be in a serviceable sensible style without coloured decorations. Canvas material is not appropriate. Trainers of any description are not acceptable. A list of acceptable ankle boots can be found in this document.
- Opaque black or navy tights or neutral-coloured nylon tights must be worn at all times. Tights must be in good condition.
- Students with pierced ears may wear one pair of small studs in each ear; other than this no other body piercings eg. tongue or nose, are allowed. A cross or other religious symbol may be worn as long as it is not visible.
- At Key Stage 3 make up is not allowed. At Key Stage 3 & Key Stage 4 hair should be kept in a neat style. Extremes of hairstyle and unnatural bleaching or dyeing are not permitted.
- We cannot accept gel or acrylic nails on the grounds of Health & Safety. Key Stage 3 students will be asked to remove nail vanish using removal wipes. At Key Stage 4 nail varnish must be discreet.
Students and parents should assume that any specific items of clothing or jewellery not mentioned above are not allowed. If there are any other issues concerning uniform, these need to be discussed with their Personal Tutor. Staff and governors will insist that all students adhere to our uniform policy.
All items of uniform are compulsory with no exceptions.